THE CHURCH & SPIRITUAL WARFARE
1. THE CHURCH IS FOUNDED ON CHRIST “…on this rock….”
a. Acts 2:38, 1 Peter 2: 4-8, 1 Corinthians 3: 11
2. THE CHURCH IS BUILT BY CHRIST …on this rock I will build my church…
a. 1 Peter 2: 4-5, Matthew 16: 17
3. THE CHURCH IS UNIQUE FROM THE WORLD …on this rock I will build my church…
a. The word “church” literally means, “called out ones.” It is a spiritual organism in a human organization.
4. THE CHURCH WILL ALWAYS BE AT WAR …on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell will not overcome it.
a. Ephesians 6: 12, Ephesians 3: 10-12
5. THOSE WHO MAKE UP THE LOCAL CHURCH WILL DETERMINE THE HEALTH OF THE LOCAL CHURCH
a. Matthew 16-19, Ephesians 6: 10-18, 1 Corinthians 12: 11, 18, 25.
a. The Church is Founded on Christ.
b. The Church is Built by Christ.
c. The Church is Unique from the World.
d. The Church Will Always be at War.
e. Those Who Make Up the Local Church will Determine the Health of the Local Church.
WHO LOVES YOU?
John 3:16; 1 John 4:9-10
1. A Compelling Love
God’s love compelled Him. (John 316; Romans 5:8)
God’s love compelled Jesus. (Phil. 2:6-8)
God’s love compels us. (2 Cor. 5:14; Luke 14:23)
2. An Extravagant Love (1 John 3:1, 17: 22-23)
3. An Inclusive Love (Rev. 22:17; 1 John 5:1; Rom 9:25)
4. A Personal Love
God is often seen as distant.
God has adopted us. (Rom. 8:15-17 – Gal 4:-6)
His love for each of us is personal. (John 11:3)
“God, because I am the object of your obsession, because I’m the one you love, come now and take care of my needs.”
VISION - Conquering with God’s Purpose
I. EYES OF FEAR
A. They Underestimated What God Could Do (13:25-29) B. They Underestimated What They Could Do (13:30-33) C. They Underestimated What Their Decision Would Do (14:1-4,)
II. EYES OF FAITH
A. Their Faith Gave Them Courage (13:30)
B. Their Eyes of Faith Gave Them Confidence (14:7-9)
C. Their Faith Gave Them The Promised Land (14:36-38)
III. 3 OBSERVATIONS ON “EYES OF FEAR” OR “EYES OF FAITH”
A. All Twelve Spies Had The Same Experience
B. They Chose Security Above Success
C. Their Perspective, Not Their Problems, Defeated Them
“What are you trusting God for today, that only He can do, so that when He does it you will never be able to say, ‘I did it’?”
The LORDSHIP of CHRIST
“Why do you call me Lord, Lord, and do not do what I say?”
— Jesus Christ
I. The LORDSHIP of Christ reveals a contradiction
You cannot say "no, Lord" and mean both words!
Many hold to an “easy - believism”, accepting all that Jesus offers as a Savior while rejecting all that He demands as Lord.
II. The LORDSHIP of Christ receives a circumvention.
Many today have been deceived.
Jesus will not be Savior where He is not Lord. He will not be Lord at all if He cannot be Lord of all.
The Philosophy of our age is “humanism”.
III. The LORDSHIP of Christ requires a commitment.
A Need for commitment
We Must Respond to the challenge
Will you say, “Yes, Lord, Yes”!
ENTERING GOD’S PRESENCE
Praise is a Sacrifice Because By It . . .
1. We engage the enemy in spiritual warfare
2. We enter into the very throne room of God
3. We confess the truth in a world full of lies
4. We connect with all of heaven’s resources
I. OLD TESTAMENT SACRIFICE - Animals (v. 11)
A. The Tabernacle Was symbolic of the Presence of God
B. The Tabernacle of Moses
C. The Tabernacle of David
D. The differences Of Worship
E. An Example Of Worship - 2 Chron 5:11-14
1. The priority of worship - Is it central in your life and family?
2. The preparation of worship - How well do you prepare for corporate worship?
3. The practice of worship - Are you willing to demonstrate your love for God?
4. The product of worship - Does worship empower you with God's presence?
II. NEW TESTAMENT SACRIFICE: Jesus Christ (v. 12
A. It fulfilled the Law of God (which said "Man is sinful and there must be a sacrifice to atone for the sin of man.”)
B. It removed The Barrier Between Us and God
C. It provided For Intimacy With God
III. TODAY, OURS IS A SACRIFICE OF PRAISE (v. 13-15)
Our praise is to be:
A. Continual Praise (vs. 15a)
B. Sacrificial Praise (v.l5b)
C. Audible Praise (v. 15c)
GOD IS FOR US
I. GOD IS FOR US IN THE _______________ OF HIS GRACE
A. God's _______________
B. God’s _______________
C. God’s _________ ___________
II. GOD IS FOR US IN THE ____________ OF HIS SON
A. God’s Assurance Is Evident In His __________ _____
B. Shall He Not “____________ Give Us All Things?”
III. GOD IS FOR US IN THE MYSTERIES OF HIS _________ (v. 28)
A. In _____ _________ God Is Working For Our Good
B. The Real Question - Have you put your life into the hands of the ___________ __________?
IV. GOD IS FOR US IN THE ______________ OF HIS LOVE
A. Who Shall ___________ Us From The Love of Christ? (v. 35)
B. The ____________ of His Fellowship
Luke 10:1-3; John 4:34
I. THE READY HARVEST
- What comes to your mind when you think that "the harvest is plentiful?”
A. Multitudes - Joel 3:13-14
"Our belief that people are ready to receive the Gospel greatly determines our attitude and action concerning the unsaved.”
II. THE REQUIRED VISION
A. It was commanded by Jesus (John 4:35)
B. Jesus Always saw the potential for Harvest
C. Why don't we see the Harvest?
III. THE RESOURCES PROVIDED
B. The Holy Spirit
STEPS TO ANSWERED PRAYER
Jeremiah 32 & 33:1-3
I. Need Me - God is my only source (32:1-5)
1. There are Many Things We Don’t Need God to do for us.
2. It is Sad if the Church Ever Gets to the Place It Doesn’t Need God.
3. Every Miracle Begins With a problem.
II. Listen to Me - God has the answer (32:6-9a)
1. There Are Times When God Asks Us to Do the Unusual
2. How to Handle the Unusual Leading of God
a) Be open to the possibilities with God
b) Be sensitive to the preparations of God
c) Be assured by the proof from God (vs. 8b)
III. Obey Me - God’s ways are higher than ours (32:9-14)
1.The Evidence of Loving God is Obeying God
2. The Secret of Spiritual Victory is - pray and obey.
3. Jeremiah’s Obedience was Immediate obedience
- Public obedience (vs. 10-13)
- Long - Term obedience (vs. 14)
- Complete obedience
4. Selective Obedience Is Not Obedience
IV. Praise Me - God is Awesome! (32:17)
“When we praise God for mercies, we prolong them. When we praise God for miseries, we usually end them.”
- Charles Spurgeon
V. Trust in Me - God is in control (32:26-44)
1. A Business Principle - “Don’t trust a person in a business deal unless that person has a stake in the deal.”
2. We Can Trust in God Because He is in Control and has Placed His integrity on the Line
VI. Call on Me - God is ready to meet your need (33:1-3)
“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”
ATTITUDES ABOUT WORSHIP
1 Corinthians 11: 17-34
I. We Should Look Around
A. We should look around to others and begin to develop right relationships
>Favorite Preacher >the “Gifts” >convictions
C. There are factions
D. The Welcome Wagon Test
>initiate >look >invite >follow-up
II. We Should Look Back
Things to Remember -
>His faithfulness >His death >Why He died >How He Died
III. We Should Look Ahead
A. Christ Not Only died, He arose and He ascended
B. This Is The Hope of the Church
IV. We Should Look Within
A. Paul Tells Us to Examine Ourselves
B. To Participate in a Worthy Manner, We Must -
>Examine our Hearts >Judge our Sins > Confess our Sins